Original School Building

Orginial School BuildingThe old "Baton Rouge College" was the first house used as the State School for the Deaf in Louisiana. The school opened on December 8, 1852, with eleven pupils in attendance. It was located on the northwest corner of the former grounds of the Institute for the Deaf which were purchased by the State in 1852. This picture of the building was drawn from memory by the late Mr. Joseph Labrans, deaf artist of New Orleans, an early pupil of the Institute

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.