Middle / High School
Our Middle/High School Department serves students in grades 6 through 12. Middle School students attend five classes daily, while High School students are following a "block schedule" this year with four classes daily. These classes include the core academic areas, physical education, electives and Vocational classes. Many of our high school students are working toward a high school diploma, while others work toward a State Approved Skills Certificate (SASC). LEAP/EOC remediation is offered during the summer; students have multiple opportunities to pass the Graduate Exit Examination (GEE)/EOC Tests.
LSD provides a rich and inviting educational environment for students. Our learning spaces are filled with:
· Highly qualified, certified, experienced teachers
· Technology tools such as interactive whiteboards and presentation stations in every classroom
· Age- and ability-appropriate educational software and other resources
· Filtered Internet access
· Positive Behavior Support (PBS)
· Extracurricular activities, clubs and organizations such as Jr. National Association of the Deaf (Jr. NAD) and 4-H
· Comprehensive sports/athletics programs, including volleyball, basketball, cross country, track and field, and weightlifting
· Provision of appropriate related services such as speech therapy, audiological services, occupational and physical therapy services
At LSD, we strive to educate the whole child in an environment free of communication barriers.