Positive Behavior Support
PBS = Positive Behavior Support
Positive Behavior Support (PBS) programs are state-mandated for every school in Louisiana. LSD has established an active PBS program in all schools and dorms that defines appropriate student behaviors, teaches those expectations, and uses data to guide all decisions made about student behavior. The PBS Leadership team at LSD has identified the following behavioral traits and accompanying rules which are effective in establishing a positive environment where teaching and learning can take place.
Keep hands and feet to one's self
Don't touch others' things
|Don't lose your temper
Come prepared for class
Respect school property
Arrive on time
Use time wisely
Keep all areas clean
Use polite language
These expectations are taught to students at the beginning of the school year and are reviewed throughout the year. While a great majority of students understand, accept and follow the rules of good behavior, a small percentage may require extra encouragement and re-teaching in order for these behaviors to become internalized.
All of the departments, thanks to financial support from the LSD Foundation, are able to provide incentives and other rewards to the students as part of the PBS program. Some of the reward activities enjoyed by the students are:
- Free T-Shirt Day: Students may wear a non-uniform T-shirt. The rest of their attire must adhere to the uniform regulations.
- Free Dress Day: Students may wear their favorite, appropriate, non-uniform clothing.
- PBS Top Student Luncheons: Competition for students who have exhibited excellent behavior and success in classroom academics by maintaining a high grade point average. Monthly winners enjoy a special lunch which is ordered especially for them.
- Middle/High School Dances: On early dismissal Fridays, students participate in fun group activities such as the Limbo, the Chicken Dance and the Macarena.
- Talk Like a Pirate Day: Students are permitted to dress in their best pirate garb and compete for prizes for best dressed.
- PBS Store: Students can redeem their Eagle Bucks (earned for good behavior) for prizes, snacks and other items of interest.
- Spirit Week: During the week of Homecoming, students may dress in accordance with the "theme" for the day.
- Student of the Month: Teachers nominate students from their respective departments who have shown outstanding effort in following the expectaions at LSD, have shown leadership with his/her peers in encouraging good behavior and who have worked hard academically in the classroom. The winner from each department will have their picture hung on the school's Wall of Fame and will receive a T-Shirt identifying them as a Student of the Month honoree.
- Honor Roll Luncheon: Each nine weeks period, students attaining a 3.5 or higher grade point average will participate in a special luncheon, receive a Certificate of Accomplishment and a special T-Shirt.