HistorySince opening its doors to eleven students in 1852, the Louisiana School for the Deaf has provided superior educational programming to deaf and hard-of-hearing students from across the state. From its humble beginnings in the old Baton Rouge College building to the present-day 116-acre campus on Brightside Lane, LSD has been steadfast in its mission - to provide a nurturing environment in which students have the opportunity to achieve their potential.
Originally known as "The Louisiana Institution for the Deaf and Dumb and the Blind" and often referred to as an "asylum," the history of the school reflects the evolution of deaf education in America. In 1908 the name was changed to "Louisiana State School for the Deaf (LSSD)."
Seventy years later, LSSD merged with the State School for Deaf Negroes (SSD) and the joined entities became known as "The Louisiana School for the Deaf (LSD)." Today the school is governed by the Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE).
In 2002, LSD celebrated its 150th year of providing excellence in education to the deaf and hard-of-hearing students of Louisiana. The school achieved another milestone that year by earning national accreditation by the Conference of Educational Administrators of Schools and Programs for the Deaf (CEASD).
Our school is rich in tradition and has many stories to tell. The pages in this section provide a very brief glimpse into LSD's history. Anyone interested in learning more about the history of LSD is welcome to visit the Archives room on our campus. If you would like to view our Archives, please click the Contact button at the bottom of this page and request information about scheduling a visit.